The Department of Public Policy offers several organizations that provide students with professional development, networking, and community-building opportunities.
Graduate Association of Public Policy Students (GAPPS) - International City/County Management Association (ICMA)
GAPPS-ICMA is the primary student organization for the UConn Department of Public Policy. Its goal is to serve as a social and intellectual forum for students pursuing a degree or certificate in the Department. GAPPS-ICMA is committed to public service, professional development, and having fun. Throughout the academic year GAPPS-ICMA hosts a number of events that enrich students’ social and academic experiences.
GAPPS is an International City/County Management Association (ICMA) student organization.
2021-2022 Chapter Officials:
- Paula Norato - President
- Ryan Chester - Vice President
- Maria Camila Bortolleto - Treasurer
- Christopher Amaya - Secretary
The best way to stay informed about upcoming GAPPS events is to like the GAPPS Facebook Page.
Pi Pi Alpha
Pi Pi Alpha is the honor society for graduate professional students in public administration and public policy. The honor society:
- Encourages and recognizes outstanding achievement
- Supports graduate public service education
- Invites membership of students that have completed at least half of their program coursework and maintain a 3.7 GPA
- Uses membership fees and donations to support student professional development
Pi Pi Alpha-sponsored professional development activities include:
- Social events like the annual ‘PPA Meet and Greet’
- Mock Interview Night – to prepare students for IPP interviews
- Special professional development training and panels
- PPA Professional Development Scholarships
- Anthony Naples, President
- Sara Nagle, Vice President
- Jessica Seabrook, Secretary
- Mike Izadi, Treasurer
- Yahaira Escribano, Membership
- Doug Shipman, Scholarship Program
- Mark Robbins, Faculty Advisor
To learn more about this organization, please contact Catherine Guarino or one of the officers/advisors above.