Executive Leadership Collaborative
Public Service Executive Leadership Collaborative
Providing Executive Training for Connecticut Public and Nonprofit Sector Professionals
Leveraging Municipal and Nonprofit Assets to Achieve Improved Community Outcomes:
Governance and Collective Impact Strategies
Friday, October 25, 2019
9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Hartford Times Building (HTB), Room 227
Overview: Connecticut municipalities and their nonprofit partners struggle to maintain existing service levels as funding reductions and restrictions continue to squeeze organizations. The issues facing cities and towns are compounded by increasingly complex challenges facing their residents, especially those most in need. Cuts in federal and state funding have shifted more of the responsibility for critical programs and services to local governments and nonprofits. Ineffective governance structures needed for critical stakeholder input and oversight are failing to evolve to meet the needs of their rapidly changing environment. However, communities can find success addressing these challenges collectively by taking inventory of provider services and programs, re-assessing resident needs, identifying service gaps to strategically realign partnerships, eliminating unneeded bureaucracy and streamlining service offerings. The most successful municipalities expertly leverage existing resources, identify new funding sources and create or modify new and existing governance structures that drive innovation and improve community results.
Description: This interactive training workshop provides practical tools, insights, exercises, examples, and collective information sharing to align, sustain, and grow existing programs and services through a more proactive and aligned governance structure.
What You Will Learn: You will collectively share existing ideas, concepts, best practices, related successes, and challenges. We will highlight the importance of developing leadership skills and making innovation a part of the organizational culture to improve service delivery quality and outcomes. Participants will explore successful governance structures and approaches to enhance the performance of municipal commissions, advisory committees, nonprofit boards, and more, through recommended development techniques. The workshop will underscore the importance of effectively measuring community results through Results Based Accountability (RBA). Finally, advocacy strategies will be outlined to build understanding, support, and protection of critical financial & other resources.
Environmental Scan/Organization Culture Development
- Focus on broader emerging challenges and opportunities and sharing participant experiences.
- Explore the need and specific examples to help develop organization-wide leadership skills.
- Outline the importance of embracing an innovation culture and creating a structure to support it.
- Discuss the role of an intermediary with examples provided.
Building a Governance Structure that Supports Collective Impact Partnership Framework
- Outline governance/collective impact approaches and examine examples of successful initiatives in Connecticut.
- Discover methods and models using several strategies to address governance by building effective structures and informed/engaged membership
- Explore Connecticut’s use of RBA in measuring performance based on the means to produce positive outcomes and review a case study.
- Learn how to develop critical advocacy strategies that target policy leaders to promote the collective impact work, establish priorities, create credibility, develop legislative champions, and protect resources.
- Share your plans to utilize what was learned from the presentation and your colleagues to build a governance structure which supports a collective impact culture, resulting in improved program/services alignment and performance that also leads to long term systemic change.
Workshop participants will be asked to complete a pre-workshop survey to collect preliminary insight information that will allow Tom to tailor the class more precisely to your work and immediate learning needs.