MPA Student Hopes to Utilize Finance to Solve Public Sector Problems

Laurel Bailey at a track meet
Laurel Bailey, MPA ’21

While researching careers as an undergraduate student, Laurel Bailey noticed that many of the jobs she wanted to pursue required a Master of Public Administration (MPA) as a future requirement. After studying Economics and Urban and Community Studies as an undergraduate at UConn, Laurel decided to continue her education as a UConn Husky because of the Department of Public Policy’s (DPP) Internship and Professional Practice (IPP) Program and faculty.

Currently Laurel is a Teaching Assistant for Professor Mark Robbins. She assists Professor Robbins with PP 5364: Public Finance and Budgeting. In addition to receiving an MPA this spring, Laurel will also be earning a Graduate Certificate in Public Financial Management

For the 2020-2021 academic year, Laurel has been completing an IPP with the Business Analysts in UConn Procurement. She notes, “I have learned a lot about the public procurement process from reviewing sole sources to attending RFP meetings. The work itself changes daily which means that it is always interesting.”

After graduation Laurel hopes to become a financial analyst. She believes in the public sectors ability to improve the lives of everyone and the necessity of a sound financial base. Laurel explains, “After learning in class about the many issues of finance within the public sector, such as pension funds, I decided that I wanted my future career to be dedicated to helping resolve these issues however I can.”