Weekly Recap: Voting and Public Service
On this Veterans Day, the Department of Public Policy (DPP) would like to thank all of the military Veterans for their service! Thank you for protecting our freedoms!
The DPP celebrated our alumni, current students, and made lots of new friends last week.
- Our GAPPS-ICMA Chapter met on Monday, 11/04 and discussed fundraisers, DPP swag, and plans for next semester. They are also hosting a “Friendsgiving” pot-luck on Monday, November 18th. For more info on this next event, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Tuesday was an eventful outreach day on the Hartford and Storrs Campuses. Current student Lena Nagorna tabled for the department in the UConn Hartford atrium and talked to many prospective Fast Track students. It was also Election Day! The DPP encouraged people to serve their communities at the polls and with a masters! Information sessions on both campuses garnered lots of interested students for the Fast Track, MPP, and MPA programs.
- On Wednesday, DPP staff attended the CT Nonprofit Alliance Annual Conference. The conference provided our staff with great networking opportunities and a chance to hear from nonprofit leaders from around the state.
- On Wednesday, we received news that Nicole Tomasetti, MPA ’18, won a seat on the Meriden City Council and Jessica Weaver, MPP ’20, won a seat on the Newington School Board.
- In Denver, Colorado, the Association for Public Policy Analysis & Management (APPAM) held their 41st Annual Conference from Thursday to Saturday . The conference brings together professionals and institutions from around the globe and invites them to present research on the topic of public policy and management. Professor Eric Brunner and Assistant Professor Yusun Kim both presented their research for conference attendees.
The holiday’s are quickly approaching, and DPP alum Jason Jakubowski is officially on the hunt for turkeys! The President and CEO of Foodshare recently spoke with Scott Haney regarding the Turkey+30. Foodshare is looking to raise 15,059 turkeys and $451,770 by Thanksgiving. To learn more or donate please visit Foodshare’s website.
- Wednesday, November 13th: Becoming Analytics Translators from 2:30pm – 4:00pm in HTB 220
- Thursday, November 14th:
- Speaker Series with Dr. Lindsey Leininger from 12:00pm – 2:00pm in HTB 216
- Research & The Free Press: Strengthening Democracy Together from 5:30pm – 8:00pm on the HTB 2nd Floor Landing
- Friday, November 15th: Connecting with Your Stakeholders from 9:00am – 4:00pm in HTB 227